Re: [Healeys] Truth or Fiction in Car Storage

To: Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Truth or Fiction in Car Storage
From: <robertduquette@sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 17:53:07 +0000
My musings on rodents.

Baited traps attract mice?  Do the poisons also attract mice?  We're not
looking to attract them are we?  And, if you poison them, then you will likely
have dead mice curled up in some recess in your garage, and you'll be
wondering what the smell is.  My rule of thumb is that, unless I see evidence
of mice being present, I don't put food out for them.  If there is evidence of
their presence, I bait a trap and kill and dispose of it.  I then bait another
trap and leave it for a week, in case there were 2, and then remove it.  I
don't know if that's wise or not ... but, that's the way I do it.

What about heat?  Are rodents more likely to be attracted to a warm garage
over an unheated garage.  I'm guessing "not much".

I have had a couple of experiences with rodents in the garage, but never with
a car that is on jack stands and never where moth balls were present.  ( The
worst damage that I've suffered is that something ate the strings off the tags
for the wiring harness for my Sprite. )  I'm wondering if the jack stands are
impossible for them to climb.

The 100 will be on the hoist, so I'll use bounce sheets in it.  I'm figuring
that mice can't climb up there, but I'll be careful anyway.

Robert D.