Re: [Healeys] [Fwd: Re: Help Needed]

To: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] [Fwd: Re: Help Needed]
From: Jody Kerr <jodyfkerr@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 10:57:51 -0700
Kees has it right. MOWOG means it's part of the Nuffield organization
(later to be BMC after merging with Austin, and even later becoming
British Leyland...) a.k.a Morris, Wolsley, Riley marques, later BMC &
British Leyland Marques and anyone who eventually licensed any of the
parts.

What makes it fun, is that your transmission could have come from many
different cars. I went out and took a peek at my transmission
collection. It's not a Sprite/Midget tranmission, nor is it a Spitfire
one (I've got 7 or 8 tranmissions for cars I don't own. Don't ask).

I've never seen a MOWOG tranmission box that's a single unit including
the bell housing. That's the part that really strikes me as odd about
the whole thing. I'd start looking at the more offbeat cars like
Riley's or Metropolitans.

Can you send me a picture of the transmission? Does it have any
external markings? A proper MOWOG tranmission should have it in big
letters cast somewhere on the outside of the case. It's also entirely
possible that it came from a vehicle that licensed MOWOG parts, so
they might not have the word on the outside.

Jody

--
http://www.theymightberacing.com/
1953 Studebaker Champion