Re: [Healeys] Reamers

To: Simon Lachlan <simon.lachlan@homecall.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Reamers
From: "Curt/Nancy Arndt" <cnaarndt@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 12:22:25 -0800
Simon.

Off the top of my head, the only common BSW thread on most Healeys is the
front generator support bracket which uses a 5/16 BSW bolt into a threaded
hole in the aluminum front plate of the generator.

The confusion with the 5/16 BSW thread is that it has the same threads per
inch as the 5/16 UNC thread (Most BSW have the same TPI with UNC except for
1/2"), therefore this bolt will screw in but it's not correct and SHOULD NOT
be used.  Why?  Because Whitworth fasteners, by definition have a 55 degree
pitch angle on the threads while Unified fasteners are 60 degrees.

And yes, if you have a 100-6 or early 3000 this bolt will have been
Whitworth.  Even my Bugeye Sprite has a 5/16 BSW bolt in this spot.

Anyone know of other BSW applications on other that the 100s?

Curt Arndt
Carlsbad, CA
'55BN1, '60 AN5 :{)