Re: [Healeys] Lowering a BJ8 - Cape shocks

To: "healeys@autox.team.net" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Lowering a BJ8 - Cape shocks
From: "Steve B. Gerow" <steveg@abrazosdata.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 07:48:07 -0800
James Sailer wrote:

> ...and in conjunction with
>conversion to tube shocks (both from Cape International), which as I recall
>lowered it an additional 1/4 inch.

Jim,

I'm running the Cape rear tube shock kit and it lowers the car via the use of
insufficient travel on the rear shocks. When I installed mine, with the car on
stands, the rear axle didn't rest against the rubber pads on the frame rails.
The shocks limited the rebound travel. Obviously this problem would be
exacerbated on the BJ8 with its longer rear suspension travel.

The Cape lower mounts consist of an approximately 1/4" thick plate which
sandwiches between the spring and lower spring plate. This has a stud extending
from it which is the lower shock mount itself.

After driving, both lower shock mounts bent upward and the one on the passenger
side is cracked halfway through. At some point I plan on replacing Cape's rear
shocks with longer-travelling SPAX units and repairing the lower plates.

I've found Cape to be communicative for Sales but not for Service.

--
Steve Gerow
BN6 with Cape rear shocks