Re: [Healeys] rollbars

To: healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] rollbars
From: Chris Dimmock <austin.healey@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2009 16:23:17 +1100
Your comments are valid and true Richard, i agree with the sentiments,
but you can, depending on the driver, achieve the desired outcome by
careful attention to the other variables. The other variables with a
single hoop, full car width rollbar are seat location (height) from
the floor; driver "height" below the rollbar (ie how tall the driver
is from bum to top of head whilst seated); and driver being firmly
secured to the car.
For example, Joe Armor's LeMans (Le Mans?) right hand drive (sorry,
couldnt help myself...) ex-works Sprite coupe has has the floorpan
lowered under the drivers seat to achieve rollbar head clearance &
safety compliance inside the coupe.
Many quite tall guys racing single full width hoop roll bar healeys
have made a "lower" cushion on the drivers seat in order for the top
of their helmet to be the mandatory 2 inches below the rollbar; and/
or bolted the seat base directly to the floor without a; and/or moved
the seat forward, and wedged the front of the seat base to tilt the
seat back more backwards. All of which assumes you can still see the
road....
Most single hoop full width rollbars also have either rear braces/ and
or a forward brace into the passengers footwell.

The biggest issue these days, from personal experience, on road going
Healys is compliance with road registration rules, engineering
certificates/ manufacturer specs, and the product liability issues
with roll bar manufacturers insurance policies. No roll bar
manufacturer in Australia I spoke to will make & fit a roll bar to a
road registered convertible these days. Just not worth their while in
event of a fatality.

So unless you are prepared to engineer it properly, rather than just
"bolt in a rollbar" I agree with Richard's sentiments. If you don't do
it properly, the rollbar will be as much use as those (usually chrome)
driver only "roll hoops" you usually see on MGBs. You know, where the
hoop comes up to the middle of the back of the drivers head.... But
fits neatly under the hood..

Chris

Sent from my iPhone