[Healeys] Harbor Freight Pittman puller - was HF j

To: "healeys@autox.team.net" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Harbor Freight Pittman puller - was HF j
From: "Steve B. Gerow" <steveg@abrazosdata.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2009 08:27:10 -0800
I bought the same puller as Richard did a few years back - it's worked fine on
at least 3 Healey pittmans (pittmen?) since then. As I recall we sprayed them
all with Sili-Kroil first. My BN6 buddy Peter Roses ground a total of about
1/4" off the forks to make it grip the ears on the Healey pittman arm better.

I also broke one of their $3 pickle forks - the one with the 3 interchangeable
sizes. Bought a one-piece one there for a few bucks after that which has worked
fine several times.

Of course what we're all doing here is proving HF's quality to be spotty over
time. But it's also not 100% bad.

With all respect to those who disagree - I agree with Alan re China. I would
also say that if my only other choice were to buy a $300 racing jack made here
or in Britain - no sale. I have a steel k-mart floor jack that's heavy as hell
but works fine, which cost probably $39 20 years ago. Nor would I buy a $70
pittman puller from Snap-On. The sale was made because the price is so
inexpensive. There's a market there where none existed before. We can afford to
buy a specialized tool like a pittman puller to use once and then loan out to
our friends.

FWIW - I also bought one of the $20 angle grinders and will report back if it
craps out.

--
Steve Gerow
BN6