Re: [Healeys] low compression

To: Attean Lake Lodge <info@atteanlodge.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] low compression
From: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2009 23:19:21 +0100
If the pistons and rings have not bedded in yet you could have
differences in the compression. Also being stored for years does not
help. You cannot take proper readings with a cold and not run in engine.
Besides these compression figures do not indicate it is the cause of the
bad running, it should run rather well..
Check leaks in or around the intake manifold, vacuum pipe for the servo,
manifold/carb gaskets? How did you set the idle mixture? Are the pistons
in the carbs going up and down freely? Do the pistons in the carbs drop
with a distinctive click if you lift and drop them? Blocked fuel line?
Do you have enough fuel pressure at the carbs, should be around 5psi. It
sounds very much like a simple fuel/carburettor problem  resulting in a
very weak mixture.
Kees Oudesluijs
NL