Re: [Healeys] Rear Axle Removal

To: <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Rear Axle Removal
From: "Mark LaPierre" <lapierrem@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 04:05:26 -0500
Hey we're tough Healey guys.  If we didn't like a challenge or two then we
would all own Miatas.  ; )

Soak the rear spring bolts and bushings well in advance with Kroil or PB
blaster.   Heat from a torch
may be of some help too but of course be careful there.   I used a saws all
( again, very carefully) to
saw one bolt off.  However if you  can get a long sturdy punch and hammer on
the end of the bolts
you can drive them out with some persistence and the PB blaster soaking.

Some people have burned the rubber bushes out but your still stuck with
getting the  bolts out and the
burning rubber is definitely sickening so this probably is not a good idea.

Definitely an easier job if the car is up on a lift.

On the "Big Healey Restoration" project video that I have I noticed that
they installed the rear axle without the gear unit and axles installed to
make it lighter and easier to slide out the side.   But they also used 3
guys.
Its really not that heavy once you get the guts removed.

Yes this is one of those jobs where you do a Victory Dance after wards cause
it can be a real bear
if the rust bug is present.

Good Luck,   Mark