Re: [Healeys] Switch knobs

To: dwflagg <dwflagg@juno.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Switch knobs
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2009 03:13:22 +0000 (UTC)
We've been doing our own. Clean the lettering out carefully with a
not-too-sharp instrument--e.g. a dull pick--then apply white (or red, etc.)
enamel paint into the letters with a fine brush. Let the paint soak in for a
few seconds, then wipe the excess off the knob with a 'sharp' plastic body
filler scraper. When the paint's mostly dry clean up any smearing with a thin
cotton cloth with a little thinner (don't use something like a microfiber or
terrycloth towel--the fibers will dig into the paint in the letters and remove
it). You can dye and buff the knob beforehand if you want a shiny, polished
look; we prefer the patina of a lightly buffed (only) knob. Paint, brushes,
etc. are available at any hobby shop.

I know this doesn't answer your question but this is something you can do
yourself and get good results, and it's not difficult. Takes about 5 minutes
per knob, if you don't dye.

bs

Bob Spidell - San Jose, CA

Is there anyone out there who restores lettered switch knobs? TIA.

Doug