Re: [Healeys] More garage ideas

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] More garage ideas
From: Editorgary@aol.com
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 17:05:52 EST
In a message dated 12/28/09 11:59:38 AM, healeys-request@autox.team.net
writes:

> now for the
> radical part--since the 4 post lift is relatively inexpensive (check
> northern tool catalogs), i would put another one at one edge of the
> loft for a cheap elevator that still could be used as a lift if I had
> the main one occupied by a car.

There will be many reasons to consider a four-post lift (which is primarily
useful for storage of one car over another) relative to a two-poster
(allows you to do full servicing underneath, change the wheels, remove springs
and
suspension, etc.) but this is one of the best ideas I've heard yet. A
high-roofed building that allows full lift of a four-post lift going up into
the
space left by not extending the second floor over all bays of the garage, is
a great idea. Then the loft can be used for storing large items (hardtop,
shrouds, etc. out of the way, and storing/accessing them by using the lift.

Definitely, but definitely include a small shower/toilet/washroom in the
garage for the many, many times you will want to clean up before going in the
house. Put a separate deep laundry room sink in the garage area, preferably
in a non-white material that can stand up to industrial-strength cleaning
materials.
Plan from the beginning to put an industrial-strength coating on the floor.
When we toured Canepa Design here, we learned that they put down a
five-coat epoxy paint system on their floors, well beyond anything you can buy
out
of the catalogs or in the Home Depot.

We'll be looking for an article for the magazines on the design of this
garage. You might do one in advance, with all the specs, and ideas, you're
going to build in the garage, or have considered, and then one later when the
garage is all finished.

Good luck,
Gary