[Healeys] re: License plates for state of Texas info my MD state

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] re: License plates for state of Texas info my MD state
From: "BJ8 Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2010 13:11:44 -0500
Hi, Pete -
In North Carolina, we are allowed to use a "Year of Manufacture" plate (we
have only a rear plate) on cars 35 years and older.  I have had the official
NC vanity plate TARHEELY on my BJ8 since 1984, but when I discovered the tax
advantage of having the car registered with an official antique plate, I
combined that provision with the "YOM" provision for the best of all
possible worlds.  The law requires that we have the officially-registered
plate in the car available to show to a trooper or whoever might ask to see
it.  I keep my antique plate under the driver's seat with a copy of the NC
statute taped to the back of it just in case. On the rear bumper, I have a
reproduction of a 1966 NC plate made by these folks:
http://www.licensplates.tv
The plate reads TARHEELY, although in NC there were no personalized plates
in 1966 (Pete, I'll send you a photo of it).
There is nothing I can find in the law that says the YOM plate has to be one
originally issued by the state in 1966, and after two years I have never
been questioned about the one on my car.

It'll be interesting to see whether I can get away with putting back the
original Alabama license plate on my '69 Dodge Charger which I bought new,
when it's back on the road.  I also can't find anything in the law that
requires the YOM plate to be a NC plate.  I am currently using the original
1973 NC plate on my Midget, sent to me by the original owner in 1990.

When I hear about all the hassles that the folks in California have to go
through just to put a license plate on a car, it makes me appreciate living
here even more.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry