[Healeys] California SMOG Laws

To: "Healey Mail List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] California SMOG Laws
From: "Len and/or Marge Hartnett" <thehartnetts@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2010 21:32:06 -0800
For California Listers and those in states that follow California's lead on
pollution/emission/air quality matters (a/o 11/2008: AZ, CT, MA, ME, NM, NJ,
NY, OR, PA, RI, VT, WA, CO and possibly CO, FL, IL, MN, UT).

The following is extracted (with permission) from an article by Bob Stearns,
ACCC Legislative Liaison/Analyst in the deFender, the newsletter of the
Association of California Car Clubs:

"November 3, 2009 was the Annual ACCC meeting in Las Vegas at the SEMA show. I
talked about .the 2009 legislation that will be brought up in January 2010. AB
859 (Annual smog inspection for vehicles 15 years and older).and SB385
(Historic Vehicle License Plates) will need to get through their respective
committees by January 31, 2010. A suggested new bill was discussed that will
bring all classic/collector vehicles under one bill. Gregory Marks from
Assemblyman Dan Logues's office spoke about how the CARB (California Air
Resources Board) is making every effort to get our cars off the road. He
showed pictures of a 1971 Chevelle and 1966 Mustang that were caught in the
remote sensing web.".

AB 859 makes some ammendments to the Health and Safety Code but it still
exempts vehicles that are currently exempt from smog check (those manufactured
prior to 1976). However, the use of remote sensing devices is implied in
Section 44024.5 of the Health and Safety Code. ANY vehicle found to be
exceeding pollution limits by such a device is then subject to be tested.

SB 385, Historic motor vehicles, preservation. This bill would add the
exemption to historic motor vehicles that have historic vehicle license plates
( (3) A vehicle which was manufactured after 1922, is at least 25 years old,
and is of historic interest) - IF - the registered owner signs a statement
under penalty of perjury that the motor vehicle will be used for specified
purposes and if the registered owner owns 2 or more currently registered motor
vehicles that are not registered as historic motor vehicles.

If they should ever place our cars back in smog check due to age, the historic
plate may be an alternative. However, the requirement to own 2 or more
non-historic vehicles would eliminate that for me. It's just my wife and me
and we have no need for more than the Healey and one family car. The classic
car insurance companies that I have researched, including Haggerty and
American Collectors, have that requirement and is one of the reasons I do not
have their insurance.

(The Other) Len
Vacaville, CA, USA
1967 AH 3000 MkIII, HBJ8L39031