Re: [Healeys] Wiring up electronic ignition

To: Paul Leeks <Paull@glasgows.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Wiring up electronic ignition
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 19:42:57 +0000 (UTC)
Another point:

Don't leave your ignition switch on for too long while you're trying to
diagnose the problem--you could fry the electronic switcher.

bs

--------------------------------
Bob Spidell - San Jose, CA

You didn't say what type of electronic ignition you have. I'm only familiar
with Pertronix; I'm going to assume what you have is similar.

A points setup switches current to ground, hence "a b/w wire from the
distributor and a b/w wire from the battery/earth (which are joined together)
attached to the +ve terminal of the coil" (the lead to the distributor goes to
ground through the points, the one to the master switch shorts it out so the
car can't start). A Pertronix--if your ignition is different this may not
apply--switches current through the coil, hence "a black wire from the
electronic ignition attached to the wire from the ignition switch and the wire
from the fuses (joined together)" and "a black/white wire from the electronic
ignition attached to the -ve terminal of the coil." Sounds like you're missing
a path to ground, since "the wire from the battery/earth and the loose original
wire from the distributor (no longer attached) attached to the +ve terminal of
the coil."

Try running a lead from the +ve terminal of the coil to ground (any screw into
the chassis should work). On my Pertronix setup I used the b/w wire to the
master switch for a ground, but moved it to the other terminal on the switch.
The way your car is currently wired the b/w wire will be an open circuit when
the master switch is "ON," so it won't provide a ground for the electronic
switching unit (it would provide a path to ground with the master switch in the
"OFF" position, but your starter wouldn't crank).

bs