[Healeys] Atlantic Body Color - Austin Healey Engine Paint

To: Healey <Healeys@autox.team.net>, John Harper
Subject: [Healeys] Atlantic Body Color - Austin Healey Engine Paint
From: Alan Seigrist <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 17:06:28 +0800
All -

I suspect that John Harper is best suited to answer this question, but
I'll put it out there.

I own a '51/'52 Atlantic A90 Sports Saloon.  I am in the process of
stripping it down to paint it.

I have a BMIHT Certificate which only states the car is "Grey" which I
believe to be "Steel Dust Grey" which was a postwar metallic color
they used on these cars.

Both inside the heater box and the bulkhead behind the dash seem to
have the same color which is a soft light metallic green color.  These
are the areas on an Atlantic that are rarely covered over in a
respray.

The metallic green behind the dash is particularly telling as it seems
the original factory rust red primer is peaking just below the
metallic overspray near the upper parts under the shroud.  It looks
very much like what I would expect factory overspray to look like, so
I am pretty sure this is the original color.

The color itself is a light metallic green, very similar in shade to
the metallic green painted on my 64  BJ8 engine.  It also looks like
Seafoam Green" that Ive seen on '49 A90 convertibles, although that
seems to be a bit darker shade.

My question is this basically the same color they put on Austin Healey
engines???

So I have to ask am I seriously confused?   Or in my confusion do I
have all my facts straight, that my BMIHT certificate says Grey
which should be Steel Dust Grey which is in fact Metallic Green???

Also, was the chassis usually painted gloss Black on these cars?  What
color were the engines painted?  Body is coming off the chassis in a
few days so need to sort it all out.

Would love to hear anyone's thoughts on this.

Alan

'52 A90
'53 BN1
'59 Jag Mk IX