Re: [Healeys] another wierd electrical problem.

To: healeymanjim@hansencc.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] another wierd electrical problem.
From: Alan Seigrist <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 12:27:43 +0800
Jim -

The voltage regulator, depending on how it is set, will cutout at the
adjusted amperage and voltage settings.  I suspect the old generator
is kicking out a high voltage setting, and the RB 340 cutout is
probably cutting the circuit out at too low a setting.  The other
generator may be putting out a slightly lower voltage and therefore
seeming  to work correctly.

You can adjust all of this by running the car at low idle and
adjusting the point gaps so that the light just goes on at 550 rpms or
so.

Alan

'52 A90
'53 BN1
'59 Jag Mk IX
'64 BJ8

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 11:42 AM,  <healeymanjim@hansencc.net> wrote:
> last week a club members bj8 had the charging light come on. would not go
out at any speed.  starting with the generator, i popped a good generator on
and the light went out.  took "bad" generator to rebuilder, who stated next
day nothing was wrong with generator, but he rebuilt it anyway and i put it
back on car.  light came on and stayed on at all rpms.  put new voltage
regulator on and light went out at about 600 rpm.  it had gone out at about
1200rpm on the old regulator with my generator on the car.  what gives?  hjim