Re: [Healeys] [Shop-talk] Downsizing tools and maximizing

To: <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] [Shop-talk] Downsizing tools and maximizing
From: "Greg Lemon" <glemon@neb.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 07:48:35 -0600
I tried to think of what tools I have that I could get rid of, particulalry
ones that take up space.  Hard to come up with a useful list, there is of
course nothing worse than being on a job and having to stop to go get a
tool, plus if you have lots of tools you have the added benefit and "guy
status" of being the guy in the neighborhood who has a tool for everything.

So like everybody else on the list apparently I cannot in good consience
give you any advice on getting rid of tools.

Focus on maximizing space, a stand alone shed or one of those that sits
adjacent to the house for the necessary evils like lawnmowers, snowshovels,
fertilizer spreaders and rakes, I haven't done this yet but sure would like
to.

As mentioned pegboard is good.  Sounds like you may not have room for a
loft, but even if you have an 8 foot or 9 foot ceiling there should be room
for high shelves around the walls (I have done that with some 30" shelving
at about head level to store larger tools and car parts, as well as many
lower level 12" shelves to store waxes, lubricants, cleaners, etc.)  I have
suspended 2 x 4s in a square cornered U shape from the ceiling set up to
store my extension ladder, suspension storage like that is very useful for
getting ladders and other little used items out of the way, and if you are
not overly tall it is totally out of your way when not in use.

Greg Lemon