[Healeys] Reno Red

To: <bertvanbrande@yahoo.com>
Subject: [Healeys] Reno Red
From: "Michael Couch" <michael@mcassociatesinc.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 12:29:49 -0500
Bert,

I connected with a gentleman in mid 2008 that was painting his 100 Reno Red.
His name was John Steele and was located in Kansas.  He had done a good bit
of research on the topic and, at the time, came up with options.  He also
sent me a Reno Red paint chip sample he made up.  I don't believe he's on
the list so I can forward your inquiry to him if you'd like.  Let me know.

I'll be interested in what you find out because I have a 100M that was
originally Reno red and black.  I'm not doing the resto right now.

I would be glad to share the paint chip sample if necessary, as long as I
get it back.

Mike

Mike Couch

Pittsburgh

BN2 100M

AN2

AN7

You Wrote:

Hi listers,

After a hiatus of 5-6 months (work!) I am prepping the 56 BN2 for paint and
I have a paint related question.  Car will be painted in it's original color
Reno Red with Black coves.

The older ICI code for Reno Red was "3000"  I checked in with a PPG supplier
and the only thing he found was a '56 color for "Rover" marked Reno Red only
available in PPG's Global Line, which is not available locally. (I am
checking if this is a California thing) My (slight) preference is a
single-stage paint as I find the base/clear oftentimes too 'hard' visually
(and out of period).  Single stage urethane is somewhat in between the old
enamel/lacquer and base/clear in terms of appearance and has the modern
chemistry (longer lasting paint). Drawback is a hard line between the 2
colors of the 2-tone scheme, as per original I guess.

My car was over-painted in a previous life, now media-blasted and where I
found the original paint (ie under the axle buffer, inside door) the red
paint is oxidized and dull. I have the Pikovnic book, but the chips for Reno
red are somewhat cloudy.  Sigh, it took me quite a bit of time to get my
hands on one via ebay.  So giving the paint supplier a sample to match is
not going to work

for me.   At least I can confirm the color on the car is indeed Reno Red as

per certificate.

AutoColorLibrary.com has the chip in it's library but it seems not available

in PPG Acrylic Urethane (concept DCC)   They have this color in their own

paint-line called "restoration shop"  but I cannot find many reviews online
on this cheap, unknown paint.  I prefer PPG as the painter I am talking with
is

familiar with PPG.   The painter came recommended by local clubmembers.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/autocolorlibrary/aclchip.aspx?image=1956-ahmg-pg12.

pg

Are there formulations available for Reno Red and the original black?  Or
does anybody have a small painted panel/sample available, a couple ounces of
Reno Red I can buy?  Other solutions?

All advice

 welcome.