Re: [Healeys] making waxoyl

To: "'john spaur'" <jmsdarch@sbcglobal.net>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] making waxoyl
From: "Simon Lachlan" <simon.lachlan@homecall.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 12:22:52 -0000
Here is something which I copied some time back. I don't know whose recipe
it was but anyhow:-
QUOTE
Waxoyl is a rust protectant that you brush on the metal to keep it from
oxidizing.  I copied this recipe for it. I think it came from the Spridget
list.
Here is a recipe for home made Waxoyl. Its an old fashioned rust
treatment / undercoating:
2 = quarts turpentine
12 oz. beeswax / candle wax
1 quart light machine oil

With a cheese shredder, cut the wax into the turpentine, stir until the wax
has dissolved, (takes a long time; you can use very low heat (a warm room)
to aid but be careful) and thin with the machine oil to a brushable
/sprayable consistency. Apply liberally. You can use a hand spray bottle to
get into closed-off sections if you have a small access hole.
Please be sensible when you make this stuff; dont go breathing the fumes or
applying heat and burning down your house. If you have any doubts about it,
err on the side of caution and just buy a commercially available product.
UNQUOTE
Simon