[Healeys] 100-4 hardtop questions

To: "Healey List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] 100-4 hardtop questions
From: "allen c miller jr" <acmiller@mhcable.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 23:21:52 -0500
Hello listers

I have bought a rather good used hardtop with a large plexiglas rear window.
I wonder if anyone can help identify the maker on the strength of its having
two square 'ridges' about 5 to 6 inches in width over each occupant's head,
about 1" high at the back and faring down to flush at the front. It has an
aluminum moulding like the later factory pieces, and a rubber seal. there is
a hole at lowpoint over the rear pillars of the door shuts.

the top has no liner, and does not appear to have ever been drilled in the
aluminum trim to receive the factory hardtop style of front toggle
fasteners.

I wonder if anyone has a similar top, with the hardware fitted. I assume
that I can adapt the presently available rear hook and plates (e.g., those
available from Cape Healey), but am clueless how to hold down the front with
clamp-style j-hooks of either of the later 3000 hardtop versions. What does
the 'j' hook into on the 100-4 pillar? It appears that the clamp, mounted as
in later hardtops, would pass the j-hook against the inside of the pillar,
and the 100-4 posts do not have anything to clamp onto from that side; only
the knobs on the exterior. if anyone has a photograph of a successful
hardware setup i would appreciate a picture or general description. as i am
going to race the car, i need to hold the top down with greater than usual
clamping along the front edge.

surprisingly, it appears that with a racing seat, a rollbar can be fitted
inside the hardtop perimeter with the requisite 2" clearance over helmet,
albeit just barely, as this top is a bit taller than other 100-4 tops i've
seen.part of the clearance comes from the seat being mounted directly to the
floor, and having a 12-degree angle of recline, which allows me to sit quite
low.

any information would be appreciated.

thanks,

allen miller