Re: [Healeys] Problems with voltage regulator

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Problems with voltage regulator
From: Alan Seigrist <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 09:18:44 +0800
Maurice -

I am confused here,  the VR only controls the charging circuit, not
the car's entire electrical system.

If the cutouts are engaged your car voltage should still be 12~13 V
from the battery, only the Dynamo circuit will be shut off.  If the VR
was infact overriding the battery's 12V and imposing 7V on your car's
electrical system, your VR would literally blow up, catch fire and
melt.

I suggest you have a loose connection somewhere in your
ignition/charging circuit, or possibly a bad ground.

I'd unscrew and rescrew / unnattach and reattach any brown, white or
purple wire between the ignition switch to the coil to the  fusebox to
the VR.  Also pull each fuse, clean and replace.  Finally inscrew/
unbolt and rebolt the two earthing straps to your engine.  I would
also investigate your ignition switch.

Alan

'52 A90
'53 BN1