[Healeys] Turn Signals

To: "'healeys'" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Turn Signals
From: "Ron Ray" <ronald-ray@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 16:12:20 -0500
Folks,

We are having trouble determining the cause of some turn signal issues on a
friend's 1960 BN7.  The car is near the end of a frame up restoration so all
components are new or rebuilt.

Background:
1.    The flasher unit has been determined to be defective so we have
bypassed it by disconnecting the wire s and connecting the wire for the "B"
terminal to the wire for the "L" terminal.
2.    The turn signal relay has been replaced with a new electronic unit
which was bench tested with 12 volts and determined to be functional.
3.    All wiring, except the wires that connect inside the turn signal
switch at the steering wheel have been checked several times for correct
installation and connections.
4.    The turn signal switch was rebuilt by someone we understand to be an
expert.  However, moving the turn signal switch to the right turns on the
left front and rear turn signal lights, and turning switch to the left
results in no lights tuning on.
5.    The horn button works.
6.    The brake lights work
7.    The parking lights work front and back.
8.    Rear reflectors have been converted to brake/signal lights.
When going through the test outlined in the Workshop Manual under Section
N.14, the following results occur.
1.    12 volts are present at terminal 1of the turn signal relay
2.    Linking terminal 1 to terminal 2 turns on the left front turn signal
light.
3.    Linking terminal 1 to terminal 6 turns on the right front turn signal
light
4.    Linking terminal 1 to terminal 3 causes both taillights to illuminate
under the flasher filament.
5.    Linking terminal 1 to terminal 7 causes both taillights to illuminate
under the flasher filament.
We are completely confused as to why all rear turn signal/brake lights come
on at the same time

We do suspect that the wires in the turn signal switch are part of the
problem as at least two wires are connected to the wrong terminals.
We wonder if a broken or grounded out wire inside the stator tube could
cause all rear lights to come on at the same time during the testing of the
relay

Thanks in advance for any insights you can provide.

Ron
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html