Re: [Healeys] BN2 balljoint crosstube- tight nuts

To: andy pole <ampole@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BN2 balljoint crosstube- tight nuts
From: "Curt/Nancy Arndt" <cnaarndt@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 09:17:38 -0700
Gentlemen,

If you don't care about fastener minutia, then stop reading now.

Slotted vs. Castellated nuts

http://www.chinafastener.info/en/images/yp_pic/180.jpg

Slotted nut

http://www.circlip.biz/images/slotted-nuts.gif

This image says it's a castellated nut but is in fact a slotted nut!

http://www.lrseries.com/resources/user/232348594207797ea6f7aee2db4271d2d3c7c474/3259-CASTLE-NUT.jpg

Castellated nut

http://componentparts.co.uk/Images/Castle%20Nut%20%28large%29.png

A good number of the images on Google claim slotted nuts are castellated
nuts and vice versa, so you obviously cannot trust the web on everything.

Bottom line... the official source is the Machinery's Handbook.  My 16th
Edition,1959 volume printing clearly shows the distinction. It also has
quite a bit of info on Whitworth Fasteners and UNF, UNC fastener markings
that distinguished them from Whitworth.

Cheers,

Curt

On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 5:40 AM, andy pole <ampole@hotmail.com> wrote:

>  Curt

Depends on what you get supplied, slotted nuts have the 'slots' more or less

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html