Re: [Healeys] Hey Alex

To: "Mark LaPierre" <lapierrem@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Hey Alex
From: "Alex" <alexmm@roadrunner.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 09:59:10 -0400
Hi Mark,

Look here for some details and photos, thanks to John Sims and his great web
site (sorry about the poor quality of the images. I should have taken more
and better photos).

http://www.healey6.com/Technical/OD%20Relay%20Repairs.pdf

Anyway, as for using your voltmeter, set it to read for -12V. Put the common
lead of your meter on the chassis. Put the other lead on terminal C2.

Turn on the ignition switch (don't start the motor). Turn on the O/D switch
(A on diagram).

You should read about -12V on your meter. That shows that the relay coil is
energized and the internal relay contacts (at C1 and C2) have closed.

Put the gear lever in 3rd or 4th gear. If you move the gear lever into first
or second you should hear the big solenoid (F) drop out with a click. I also
hear the solenoid click in when I move the gear lever in 3rd and 4th. With
the engine off you can hear this distinctly.

Now turn off the O/D switch. Keep your foot off the throttle. There should
still be -12V on C2. That shows that the kickdown switch is good. It's
contacts feed -12V to the relay coil (from C2 to W1), keeping the relay coil
energized even though the panel switch (A) is now off. With the relay
contacts held closed, -12V is still feeding current to the solenoid too,
through the shift switch (E).

Now press on the throttle. The -12V at C2 should drop to zero as the
kickdown switch opens. The solenoid should drop out with a click (if you're
in 3rd or 4th).

Hold the throttle down to keep the throttle switch open. Throw the O/D
switch on the dash/fascia. You should see -12V. That proves the relay
contacts have closed again, being fed via the panel switch (A).

Hope that helps. Attached is a schematic.

Let me know how you make out.

== Alex