Re: [Healeys] BJ8 timing is way off what do I do now?

To: "'Jorge Garcia'" <fortee9er@yahoo.com>, "'Austin Healey'"
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BJ8 timing is way off what do I do now?
From: "PG" <britishcars@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 10:09:19 -0700
Most likely ignition timing.

To be certain, put #1 piston at TDC on compression stroke and ensure that
both valves are closed.  They won't be "exactly" closed depending upon the
lob centre angle of the camshaft you have.  However, should be close.
Likely, the inlet valve will close just after TDC.  If this is happens, your
cam timing is likely correct and you should focus on your ignition timing.

With resepct to Ignition timing, being off 2" does not necessarily mean that
the distributor is in wrong.....if such was the case, you would be out 180
degrees.....likely the distributor was not tightned down and simply
rotated....move it back to where it belongs and try starting.  Going by
memory I think it should be at 15 degrees BTDC at static.....but, you should
double check with the manual.

Paul