Re: [Healeys] LPG

To: mgcharlie@comcast.net, Healey forum <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] LPG
From: Jaap Aeckerlin <j.aeckerlin@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2010 10:45:14 +0200
Charlie, in addition to Kees' answer regarding the use of LPG in Holland :
the main reason for the popularity of LPG in our country is the price.
Yesterday, filling up my gas tank, I noticed that the price of LPG is 40% of
the price of standard 95 octane gas. In order to avoid the whole Dutch car
fleet to be converted to LPG our Government, in their endless wisdom,
decided that the road tax for non- petrol driven cars (so diesel and LPG) is
far higher than for cars using petrol(gas). One therefore has to drive quite
a distance in order to enjoy the relatively low price of LPG and to
recuperate the costs of adding an LPG installation. BUT: as cars older than
25 years don't have to pay road tax it is very economical to drive a >25
years car on LPG. To give you an idea: I pay for my daily driver (2650 lbs)
about $ 765 per year. Had it been an LPG driven car, I would have paid $
1610!
Regards,
Jack Aeckerlin, The Netherlands
1964 BJ8 29432