Re: [Healeys] AH factory paint process?

To: "S and T Miller" <stmiller96@hotmail.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] AH factory paint process?
From: "Rich C" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 21:40:17 -0400
The bodies were assembled, fitted and painted at the Jensen works. We know
from a number of period photos showing the Hundred body shells being fitted
up prior to paint, that most of the panels were simply in a poor cheap
primer at that point. This would indicate that the individual panels were
not prepainted at all prior to assembly of the body shell. This is also in
evidence each time we have the opportunity to dismantle an original car. All
the inner surfaces tend to fade away from the spraying that could reach
inside the assembled shells, to areas that simply faded from colour to
primer. (i.e paint coverage near an open wheel arch that fades to no paint
further in). In addition when dismantling an original car, there is no paint
colour beneath mounting flanges, hinges, etc.
Thinking about this one step further, the body fasteners that were open and
easy to reach with the spraying equipment, received the body colour as well.
There was a significant change to painting methods that were highlighted in
a British trade paper dated early 1957, showing a then new "state of the
art" painting line and facility at Jensens that seemed to be in full use by
early 1956. The body shells coming down the line in the feature photos were
BN2's, with some of them showing duotone paint schemes.
Interestingly this coincides with my Hundred Registry records that show
about every 5th car or so coming through with duotone paintwork beginning in
early 1956.

Rich Chrysler