Re: [Healeys] Fw: AH factory paint process?

To: Rich C <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Fw: AH factory paint process?
From: John Harper <ah@jharper.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 15 May 2010 09:00:49 +0100
Rich

You might have some or all of the information below but for completeness
I offer the following.

In the mid 1970s I was fortunate to visit Jensen on a conducted tour.
After chatting to one of the managers he showed me a company scrapbook
in which there were many photos of 100 bodies being painted in special
booths. I was able to obtain photocopies of these but being 1970s
technology are not very good.

However one can see the bodies on rotisseries and these are on frames
with wheels allowing them to run on simple tracks into the spray booths;
two booths appear in the photos.

The points of interest are that all panels were in place including the
front valance. The bonnet (hood) was slightly open on some but as far as
I can tell only when horizontal. Doors appear to be open at times but
must have been tied across somehow when the body was inverted.
Interestingly there appears to be some sort of hinges on the boot
(trunk). I have to assume that these were some temporary arrangement but
as paint appears to have been applied under where the hinges fit I
cannot see how this is done. These bodies appear to be BN1s with no duo
tones in evidence.

Best regards

--
John Harper