Re: [Healeys] Off Topic (sort of)

To: Guy R Day <grday@btinternet.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Off Topic (sort of)
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 15:57:07 -0700
Having been an embedded/realtime programmer myself at one time, I can
attest that otherwise proven software can iterate billions, even
trillions of times then encounter a problem--deadlock, or a race
condition--that will create havoc and completely escape replication or
diagnosis.  It has been alleged that some of the early Airbuses--the
first commercial fly-by-wire aircraft--had a nasty habit of trying to
fly themselves into the ground.  We may yet find out that the one lost
over the Atlantic recently had a sensor and/or computer glitch as
contributing factor.

I think the point is that as the vehicles become complex the potential
for esoteric problems will increase.  Of course, the most complex
component--the pilot or driver--has repeatedly been proven highly
fallible already.

bs

--
Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell@comcast.net