Re: [Healeys] Girling Break Servo vs. Lockheed

To: <gmandas@yahoo.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Girling Break Servo vs. Lockheed
From: George Haywood <haywoodone@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 13:56:51 -0400
Greg,

John Stuart Power Brake rebuilt the original servo in my 65 bj8.  We have had
the car on the road for about 3 years now and have driven from North Carolina
to Conclaves in San Diego and Kingston, and have put many thousands of
additional miles touring in the mountains and coastal regions of NC and Va and
all points between.  So far we have had no problems at all with the servo (or
any brake issues).  Our car also sat in a garage for over 30 years before we
bought and restored it so I feel the servo can be rebuilt and it can be
dependable.  The price on average per the company is around $450, ours was a
little more due to the condition but a quote was given before repair was done.
Very easy people to do business with and a quick turn around time.

Hope this helps,

George Haywood

'65 bj8

> Subject: [Healeys] Girling Break Servo vs. Lockheed
>
> The 65 BJ8 I purchased last March sat in a barn seizing up for the last 30
years. The good news is, the car is original. The bad news is, the car is
original. The owner did just enough restoration to sell it. That's not to say
it was road worthy at the time. He had the brake cylinders redone, but not the
servo. I have been driving the car and the brakes function, but without power
assist.

> My mechanic (for all the things I wont', can't or shouldn't do) suggests
replacing the master cylinder with an earlier model with a smaller bore. "It
increases brake pressure to where you don't need a servo."

> My local British parts guy says I should drop in a Lockheed. "It's safest
and by the way you need $100 bracket to make it fit."

> I'd like to have the original Girling rebuilt, but both guys tell me it's
not a good idea. They don't know of anyone who can do the job right and
independently steered me away from the place I found.

> My restoration philosophy is to stay as original as possible unless
prohibited by safety, cost or practicality.

> What do y'all think?
>
> Greg
>
> 65 BJ8.

http://www.windowslive.com/campaign/thenewbusy?ocid=PID28326::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL