[Healeys] speaking of smoke machines

To: "PG" <britishcars@shaw.ca>, <Healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] speaking of smoke machines
From: "Freese, Ken" <Kendall.Freese@Aerojet.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 08:25:11 -0700
I used a party type smoke machine over the weekend to find a BJ8 intake
manifold leak and it passed. I had hoped it would fail so I could be
sure my diagnosis was correct. I plugged the smoke machine into the
brake booster port on the intake manifold. Plenty of smoke came out the
carbs so I sealed them up with tape and that was the last smoke I saw. I
tried putting the smoke up the tail pipes, but I guess it wasn't
powerful to make it to the engine. It looks like I will take change the
manifold gasket anyway. I think the commercial automotive smoke machines
put out 3 PSI or so.
I have never had success with the WD40 spray technique. How could anyone
do it on the bottom sides of the manifold branches with tube headers and
stuff in the way?
Ken Freese
65 BJ8