Re: [Healeys] Steering alignment

To: <warthodson@aol.com>, David Nock <healeydoc@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Steering alignment
From: WILLIAM B LAWRENCE <ynotink@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 02:54:29 +0000
Actually I DON'T know that it would be possible. If the "tight spot" is at or
near center at any toe setting what would cause it to change while adjusting
toe? Turning the track rod to adjust the toe-in moves both front wheels
exactly the same amount in opposite directions because one one ball end is a
right hand thread and the other is a left hand thread. Turning the rod
shouldn't affect the position of the steering worm gear. If the tight spot (or
center of the worm) is not where it is supposed to be then the fault must be
in the other alignment factors, which are not adjustable on the Austin Healey
chassis (except by catastrophic means) or in the incorrect assembly of the
various steering rods and levers.
Bill Lawrence

> To: healeydoc@sbcglobal.net
> Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 20:27:33 -0400
> From: warthodson@aol.com
> CC: healeys@autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: [Healeys] Steering alignment
>
> Yes, I agree. I hope no one thought I was suggesting they adjust the toe-in
> until the tight spot was straight ahead! Theoretically, this would be
> possible, if you didn't care what amount of toe-in you ended up with.
> Gary Hodson

shimming/adjustment,