Re: [Healeys] trans oil

To: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>, Mark LaPierre <lapierrem@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] trans oil
From: Tom Felts <tomfelts@windstream.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2010 8:45:33 -0400
I was under the impression that it was the detergent in these oils (20/50, etc)
that was the problem when used in the tranny---thus the recommendation for ND
oils.  I still highly recommend the appropriate Redline oils.
---- Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl> wrote:

=============
There should be no problem using 20w50 engine oil. Several car
manufacturers specify it for there gearbox and or O/D gearbox i.e.
Sunbeam, Jensen Healey.
Changing oil on a regular basis in manual gearboxes is paramount as you
will always have some swarf from the synchro's and the occasional
grinding the gears in reverse.
I still do not understand the present practice in new cars never to
change the gearbox oil, often there is not even a drain plug present.
Kees Oudesluijs
NL