[Healeys] BN2 transmission rebuild problem

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] BN2 transmission rebuild problem
From: "robert bender" <rbender1@berkshire.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 14:33:29 -0400
Hey folks, here's the story -

About 25 years ago, I rebuilt my tranny; bearings, thrustwashers,
syncros.the works.  Life was good.  Apparently I go some of the lousy
syncros from Moss.  They went bad in a few thousand miles.

This year, I decides to fix that problem, and while I was at it, I decided
to change to a BJ8 clutch.

Here is the total of what I did:  New syncros (I went with the best I could
find - bronze from AH Spares), new thrust washers, I fashioned the pad that
the shift rods bang against in the bellhousing (it's about 1/8 inch thick
made from Tupperware plastic),  It didn't have one at all before this
operation.  That's all for the tranny.

For the clutch:  Resurfaced BJ8 flywheel with new starter ring, BJ8 clutch,
pressure plate, and throw-out bearing, and a new spigot bushing.  That's it.

I switched to MT-90.

Results:  I had to adjust the clutch all the way to the end of the threaded
rod, but I'm convinced the clutch is fully disengaging.  The clutch is
smooth as silk.

                  I go through the gears slowly and I think largely because
of the MT-90,  it shifts smooth as silk.

                  I shift through the gears in a more spirited manner or
downshift without double clutching..not so much like silk.  In fact it was
better with the old worn syncros!

Here's the question(s):  Could this grinding be caused because I made the
pad too thick?

                                                 Could it be because I
switched to MT-90?

                                                 Could I have gotten another
bad batch of syncros ?  I don't know of a way to install them wrong.

                                                 Could something else be
worn that I'm not thinking of?

Sorry for such a long winded question - any help would be appreciated
greatly.  I really would like to have an idea of possible causes before
dragging that thing out again.

By the way, the overdrive works smooth as silk too, and I have no desire to
switch to a Toyota tranny.
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html