Re: [Healeys] insulation questionWhich to

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] insulation questionWhich to
From: "BJ8 Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 15:41:53 -0400
I don't know about Dynamat or DuraKool, but I used a double-sided mylar 1/4"
thick "bubblewrap" insulation I got from a home improvement store and cut
off a roll at $2.00 a yard (48" wide).  I believe 2 yards was enough do the
whole cockpit and both sides of the transmission cover.  Lowe's has the
stuff in different sizes, but I imagine you have to buy the roll at $20 or
so.
This insulation is durable, waterproof, and is easy to work with.  I glued
it on the vertical surfaces and the fiberglass cover with contact cement and
used the carpet fasteners to secure it on the floors.  After 10 years, it
still looks as it did when I installed it.

Seal up any heat leaks in the firewall and make sure the gearbox cover seals
are in good shape.  The bubblewrap will take care of the rest of it.  My BJ8
is no hotter than any other car without air conditioning.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC  USA