Re: [Healeys] HELP - No Clutch

To: John Soderling <bighealey@astound.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] HELP - No Clutch
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2010 09:26:02 -0700
There's a spring-loaded rubber seal on the end of the pistons on brake
and clutch M/Cs.  This allows fluid from the reservoir to enter the
system when the piston is out, but needs to seal off the pipe to the
reservoir when you press the pedal.  If this fails you might get the
symptoms you describe (I've had it happen on a brake M/C, but not a
clutch M/C).   Have someone work the pedal while you watch the fluid
level--if it rises when your helper presses the clutch pedal this is
likely your problem.  What puzzles me, however, is where the 'extra'
fluid is coming from--possibly, the fluid was sucked from the circuit to
the slave cylinder.

If the M/C is otherwise in good shape--i.e. no pitting--you should be
able to get by with a rebuild kit.  If not, and your M/C is aluminum, a
resleeving or new cylinder is in order.

bs

--
Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell@comcast.net