[Healeys] Conclave final leg to Galena Part 2

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>, BJ8Healeys <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Subject: [Healeys] Conclave final leg to Galena Part 2
From: George Haywood <haywoodone@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 01:43:03 -0400
We noticed water standing in quite large amounts in lower areas along the
highway.  We had asked our waitress in Havana about this and she said that
those areas tend to flood frequently.  She told a story of a developer that
attempted to build a sub division in the area and sure enough the floods came
and destroyed his unfinished dwellings.  We could see completed block
foundations all in a row like swimming pools one after the other only the
water was on both sides of the walls.  Bet he has some land for sale cheap.
The further North we went the more rolling the hills became.  The farmers kept
the fields trimmed neatly mowing the grassy areas along the highway right up
to the corn rows.  This is something we don't usually see back east.  The
farmers plant to the utility set back and the state cuts the roadside several
times during the growing season so there are times when the grasses get pretty
high along the perimeter of the fields.  Soon we merged onto I-74 and traveled
over the Miss. River into Iowa exiting onto Hwy 67 toward Comanche,Ia. along
the west side of the river.  The bridge was under construction there so we
couldn't get a look at the river below.  We stopped at the welcome station in
I believe it was Le Claire,Ia.  The stretch of road along the river there was
beautiful.  There were very nice homes on both sides built right on the river
with nice sized boats moored along the banks.  The river was fairly wide there
with plenty of commercial and leisure boat traffic.  This went on for most of
the trip to Comanche and then the road (hwy 52) pulled back off the river
almost all the way up to Dubuque.  It began to rain and the sky looked pretty
angry so we put the top up and the rains came down.  We drove the hilly
countryside up to Dubuque without incident and crossed the  Mis. River again
back into Il and down hwy 20 to Galena, what a picturesque entrance along the
Galena River. 7PM struck as we pulled into the parking lot to get registered.
We left Springfield @ 11AM and pulled into Galena @ 7PM.  It was suppose to
take 5 1/2Hrs  We can't account for the discrepancy in time but we did enjoy
the journey.  Our 1 Bed Rm. Apt. here is pretty nice and comfortable and we're
enjoying Conclave and seeing people we've met @ prior Conclaves.  We'll be
here all week, will give an update later this week on our stay, then fill you
in on our post Conclave Adventure to SD and then back to NC.

    Take care until then,

George & Sherry Haywood

http://www.windowslive.com/campaign/thenewbusy?ocid=PID28326::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL
:en-US:WM_HMP:042010_3