Re: [Healeys] still too hot...

To: healeyron@yahoo.com, blkbt7@yahoo.com, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] still too hot...
From: wilkmanracing@aol.com
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 22:36:18 -0400
 This whole running hot things seems to be a process of chasing little things.
My MGA ran hot after its rebuild.  It ran hot before its rebuild, but it had
an excuse then...the engine was full of crud and the radiator needed to be
recored.  I ended up doing several things, including:

1.  Installing a shroud (from Moss) around the water pump fan/radiator core.
2.  Installing a piece of fiber material (from Moss) to the underside of the
bonnet to keep the air from passing over the top of the radiator.  (The
factory piece had fallen off long ago.)
3.  Installing a restrictor sleeve (from Moss) in in the thermostat housing to
replicate the effect of the earlier bellows style thermostats.
4.  Installing insulating foam rubber (from Home Depot) between the forward
radiator shroud and the radiator body to keep air from flowing past the
radiator in that area.

The combination of these remedies seemed to do the trick.

Bill  Wilkman
BT7 and a bunch of other British cars.