Re: [Healeys] Overheating Healey

To: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Overheating Healey
From: Richard Ewald <richard.ewald@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 20:41:05 -0700
A surge tank system doesn't actually raise the boiling point, but it does
ensure that the entire radiator is full, and doesn't have an air space at
the top.  This makes sure you are using 100% of the radiator capacity.
Because you don't lose coolant, you don't add water, and that helps to
prevent corrosion.  Which again works to keep the car cooler.
Surge tank systems rock.
I put one on my last MGB, I got a flat cap off an Austin American radiator
cap that had no pressure retaining properties, it was just a flat cap with a
rubber gasket on the inside.
I ran a hose from the radiator overflow to the bottom a surge bottle off of
a Volvo 140 which I installed using the Volvo bracket on the radiator
shroud.  The pressure cap on the top of the surge tank was a standard unit
off the shelf at the local parts store.
Hope this helps
Rick