[Healeys] Healey Fuel Odors (BJ8 Exhaust System)

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: [Healeys] Healey Fuel Odors (BJ8 Exhaust System)
From: Mark Schneider <mandmschneider@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 06:37:46 -0700
I agree with Mr Ficke.  I love the sound of a Healey and the BJ8 stock
muffling is just too much plumbing beneath the car.  Shortly after I
bought our BJ8 40 years ago I took a hacksaw to the right angle turn
in the tail pipes under the boot and extended the pipes straight aft
on the driver's side.  I have replaced the mufflers twice over the
years and maintained the same configuration and enjoyed that wonderful
mellow Healey burble at idle and the somewhat more raucous note at
full cry.  I especially get a kick out of testing theft alarms on
other cars as I idle though parking structures.  "Chirp...chirp."

I think directing the attenuated BJ8 muffling to the side and in front
of the rear wheel might be a bit much on long drives.  I also have a
question for the listers.  Currently I have a pair Moss replacement
mufflers on the car.  They do not fit well as they are slightly too
large.  In order to line them up with the factory hanger points I had
to rotate the mufflers about 15-20 degrees.  There are several after
market muffler manufacturers producing smaller diameter glass packs.
Can anyone recommend a brand name and muffler length that will
maintain the Healey sound?  I understand the old Cherryi Bombs do not
last very long.  However, the smaller diameter muffler body of that
style will fit better and provide a bit more ground clearance.

Marks 3
'66 BJ8
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html