Re: [Healeys] synthetic oil

To: <healeymanjim@hansencc.net>, healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] synthetic oil
From: richard mayor <mayorrichard@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 02:40:27 +0000
The first thing you must do is fit a rear main seal. Why, because the Austin
engine does not have one, so even regular oil will leak out. Synthetic oil
will leak from even the smallest of openings so things must be buttoned up
tight.
With every new engine I build I have the crank machined to get rid of those
grooves, and the block machined to accept a Chevrolet V-8 rear engine seal.
It's less expensive then those bolt-on rear seal conversions from Moss and DW
and i suspect a much better "seal" since you can buy performance Chev  V-8
rear seals anywhere in the USA.
I use Red Line synthetic oil in my race motors and the rear seal does not
leak.

Richard Mayor
BN7L-466  Vintage Racer
Portland, Oregon

> From: healeymanjim@hansencc.net
> To: healeys@autox.team.net
> Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 03:56:19 +0000
> Subject: [Healeys] synthetic oil
>
> does anyone on the list run synthetic oil in their engine and if so how do
you keep it in.  i have seen it in two different healeys and the oil leaked
out like a BP oil well in the gulf.  how do you keep it in the engine?   hjim