[Healeys] Fw: concours judging

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Fw: concours judging
From: "Rich C" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 14:57:58 -0400
 Every time the subject of Concours Judging comes up, there always seems to
 be lots of folks who are NOT involved in, and know almost nothing about the
 process who always feel the need to pipe up and talk it down, or otherwise
 cloud and confuse the subject to the point where the onlookers repeat once
 more "that once again reinforces my opinion about Concours".

 I cannot speak for other Concours activities around the world, but I can
 speak for our National Concours Registry, here in North America.

 The National Concours Registry and it's steering committee was formed in
the
 late '80's from a small group of like minded enthusiasts from the USA and
 Canada. Our years of ongoing development of accurate Guidelines that people
 can follow (as they wish) and the criteria by which we judge a car is very
 different from separate individual events like Pebble Beach, from the
 British and European judging criteria, and many others held round the
world.
 1. We greatly encourage the driving and use of the car.
 2. We are looking more for correctness and authenticity than how bright or
 shiny the item may be. Over polishing or too deep a modern super paint
 finish can actually be cause for a minor deduction if too "over done".
 3. We look at the "intention" of the original manufacturing standards, and
 are not looking (within reason) to accept the flaws that inevitably crept
 into the assembly process, so for example, that drip or run in the paint
was
 not intended so should have an appropriate deduction.
 4. Our National Concours Registry here in North America conducts sanctioned
 judging in which we do not compete car against car, rather the car is
 evaluated against a standard. 4 cars entered may end up with one not
 achieving a level at all, while two may achieve a Bronze award and one may
 achieve Gold. It all depends on what the points ad up to.
 5. The individual point score is never revealed to anybody but the entrant.
 The Committee will only reveal the award level achieved; Bronze, Silver, or
 Gold.
 6. Our National Concours Registry does NOT belong to, nor are we
politically
 affiliated with any clubs, so we are steered only by our Committee of which
 there are currently 11 like minded enthusiasts who volunteer their time,
 care and knowledge to assist in the annual review and updating of each
 year's Guidelines, Score and Policy sheets.
 7. A CD of this work is available to anybody who wants it anywhere in the
 world, and it has become a very comprehensive tool to build your car,
 whether you ever wish to have the car judged at one of our sanctioned
 judgings or not.
 8. It is very satisfying to observe the number of cars that have been
judged
 and achieved an award level over the last 20 years, that have gone on to be
 beautiful accurate regular drivers that turn up at meets all over the
 continent.

 Rich Chrysler
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html