Re: [Healeys] 2nd and 3rd gear 'hop'

To: healeylist <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] 2nd and 3rd gear 'hop'
From: Mark J Bradakis <mark@bradakis.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 2010 19:06:27 -0600
>  just the shifter making a slight 'pop' and moving, in a different
> direction depending on whether I'm accelerating or using the engine to
> slow; e.g. pulling up a grade then lifting to coast at the crest.
> This doesn't happen in fourth gear, and I haven't noticed it in first.

I wouldn't worry about it too much yet.  It sounds like it is just the
selector forks
being a bit sloppy, or the detent balls and springs getting weaker.
Basically the
selector forks are held in place with thrust washers against the gears.
As the
direction of applied torque changes, the bevel cut gears want to move one
in direction or another. The thrust washers keep the fore and aft motion
to a minimum
and keep the selector hubs in place.  As the gearbox wears you'll get
more movement.
When it starts popping out of gear on a regular basis then you can start
to worry.

It doesn't happen in 4th because that is a direct coupling of the input
shaft to the
output, the gears, layshaft and such are just going along for the ride.

Of course, I'm familiar with Triumph gearboxes,  never worked on a Healey
unit before, but the basic designs are all quite similar.

mjb.
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html