[Healeys] Nearly Smokeless

To: Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Nearly Smokeless
From: <robertduquette@sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 01:10:05 +0000
Someone let most of the smoke out of my Subaru and my Healey.

For those who like the story ( others skip to the next paragraph )

The day before yesterday, I drove my subaru home from work and parked it on my
driveway.  I later restarted it and moved it a few inches.  Then I took Carmen
out to the local Healey group meeting and to make a long story somewhat
shorter, drove home in the dark.  For those following the angle drive story,
the tunnel was loose.  ( not screwed down )  Wonderful.  Parked it in it's
usual spot in the garage.  Next morning, (yesterday ) I go out and attempt to
start the 'ru.  Turns over great, but no sign of catching.  Drive the Healey
to work.  Despite having 'Healey hair' all was good.  Drive home.  Try the
'ru.  No go.  Rush my daughter to her volunteer event in Carmen.  Return home
and button down the Healey gearbox tunnel.  When it's time to go pick her up I
joke to my wife, "the way my day's been going, the Healey's headlights won't
work".  Scary!  They didn't.  I tried for a bit to wiggle the switch and check
the manual for suggestions, swap fuses, etc, to no avail.  I noticed the time
and borrowed the neighbour's car.  Next morning, (today) try the 'ru again.
Call a service station to arrange for 'ru repair.  Start the Healey and drive
away, ... to the first turn ... when the signal lights didn't work.  I
thought, what the heck, I can do hand signals, it's a convertible, even if
they don't understand the signal, they'll figure something's going on.  But,
then I thought ... maybe no brake lights and I turned back into the
neighbourhood and bring it back to my garage, where it is confirmed.  Call a
cab.  Return home in a cab.  4 roadworthy cars, 2 disabled and the other 2 not
road insured and battery-less.  I managed to get the signal and brake lights
back ( and fuel gauge ) by swapping back the fuse.

just the facts:

My headlights/taillights fail to work after having used them the night before.
Following that drive, I reattached the gearbox tunnel.  I'm challenged in the
electrical dept.  Fuses appear to be good.  I followed the wires from one
headlight back to the fuse box, with no apparent smoke release holes.  Same
for under dash.  As I write this, I realise that I didn't check tail light
wires behind the gearbox.  I'll also confess that I haven't consulted the
schematic ... yet.  I did crawl under the car to see if somehow I might have
compromised a wire with the screws.  I don't think that that's a possibility,
... except 'possibly', the wire(s) from the gearbox that goes up behind that
panel fore of the tunnel.

Where do I start?

Robert Duquette
Ottawa ON Canada
1965 RHD BRG Austin-Healey Sprite ( project )
1967 RHD MG Midget ( aka: Miss Marple )
1955 Austin-Healey 100 BN1 ( aka: Carmen )

http://www3.sympatico.ca/robertduquette/temp/2009FallTour.jpg
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html