[Healeys] Intermittent OD failiure

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: [Healeys] Intermittent OD failiure
From: Richard Antal <rantal243@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 09:37:18 -0700 (PDT)
Greetings Healeyphiles,
     I drive a '65 BJ8 with an OD rebuilt ten years ago. At that time, the
solenoid was replaced. Over the past ten years, the OD would occasionally fail
to engage when the dash switch was activated. Usually flicking the switch
several times would eventually result in the OD engaging. I thought the problem
must be in the electric circuitry so over the years, I have replaced all the
components except the solenoid. The OD functioned perfectly for the past 2000
miles or so until last week when it began failing to engage and got rapidly
worse until I was unable to activate the OD except by turning off the engine
and
then restarting. The dash switch would then activate the OD only once and if I
flicked it out of OD, it would not reengage if I again activated the dash
switch. I finally connected a test light to the solenoid. Don't ask why I
didn't
do that years ago. The test light showed that the electrical circuit was intact
and that depressing the dash switch always lit the test light, even when the OD
failed to engage. When I'm parked, I can move the shifter from neutral to
3rd/4th and always hear the solenoid click in and out. The fluid level (30wt
oil) in the transmission is adequate. So wherein lies the problem? Do I need a
new solenoid, readjust the solenoid, or another OD rebuild? Thanks for any
advice.
rich antal
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html