[Healeys] voltage drop was intermittent OD part 4

To: Healey List <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] voltage drop was intermittent OD part 4
From: Richard Ewald <richard.ewald@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 10:22:51 -0700
At last the end of the voltage drops and how to find the problem (if
it is electrical) with the OD

One last thing about Voltage drops
Dont forget two things:
1.      You have to energize the circuit to get a proper reading.
2.      Dont forget the problem could be on the ground side of the
circuit.  You have to test both sides.

Great now how do I fix my $#^&**%$# over drive?
Based on the comment about flicking the switch several times to get
the OD to operate, I am thinking there are some world class voltage
drops in this circuit.  If you dont have enough voltage, the solenoid
wont function.  If it were me I would test in the following order
1.      Battery to switch hot lead (again, circuit has to be energized,
that is key on, trans in 3 or 4, OD switch on
2.      Across switch (should be damn near zero)
3.      Switch to OD solenoid.
I suspect that the OD switch has a BIG voltage drop.  But any and all
Lucar connectors in the harness are suspect.  If you find a problem at
a Lucar connector, you can
1.      Pull connector apart
2.      Clean bullet ends with steel wool
3.      Clean inside of connector with a small wire bottle brush ( or go
crazy and replace them)
4.      Apply dielectric tune up grease to the connector
5.      Reassemble

Hope this helps
Rick
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html