[Healeys] Rear End/transmission Noise

To: "Healey List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Rear End/transmission Noise
From: "R. Price Lindsay" <price@advocateadvisors.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 11:27:14 -0500
For the past several trips out in my BJ 8 I have noticed a slight "humming"
sound when I step on the gas slightly, ie put a small load on the drive train.
I have done this in 3rd and 4th gears and the sound seems to be the same.
Also, it is higher pitched at higher speeds.  We put it up on a lift and the
sound seemed to come from the rear end.  I also also noticed oil seeping from
one of the rear bearing seals. When I took the car to a local mechanic he told
me it's the transmission.

Before i start tearing something apart I have to ask if it is likely to be the
transmission?  Could the sound travel to the rear end and if so, wouldn't it
sound different in different gears?

Thank you so much for any insight you can provide.

Price Lindsay

67 BJ 8
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html