Re: [Healeys] Engine start procedure

To: "Tadeusz Malkiewicz" <tadeusz.malkiewicz@plusnet.pl>,
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Engine start procedure
From: "Rich C" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 09:45:48 -0400
Tadek,

I'm already reading a few contrasting suggestions here regarding your
initial engine start up. Here is what I always do:

1. fill the cooling system with water rather than antifreeze mixture. That
way if you find a leak in anything, all you're losing is water. proper
antifreeze or coolant mixture can be added later.
2. make sure the engine oil has an adequate amount of ZDDP additive for the
important initial running in of the cam lobes and cam followers
3. temporarily remove spark plugs and spin the engine on the starter motor
until you have oil pressure showing at the gauge. That ensures the oil
filter is full and oil has completely circulated throughout the engine. This
may take 30 to 40 seconds of spinning until the gauge needle shows pressure.
4. install spark plugs, pull out choke cable and ensure fuel is present.
5. make sure you are in a well ventilated area with plenty of fresh air.
6. start engine and watch closely for any leaks, oil or water.
7. bring the idle speed up to about 1500 to 1800 RPM and maintain this fast
idle speed. This is very important to allow the initial bedding in of the
cam lobes and cam followers.
8. maintain this fast idle for at least 15 minutes, checking the top hose
and the temperature gauge to make sure that the thermostat has opened at the
correct temperature. I always use a 165 degree F thermostat. If all is well
with your cooling system the temperature reading during this time shouldn't
go much over the thermostat rating.
9. during this fast idle running, initial mixture settings and balances can
be performed on the carbs, checks can be done for exhaust leaks as joints
heat up and expand, engine paints will start initial burn off and cure, etc.
10. after the 15 minute run, bring the idle speed down to about 900 RPM and
then gently shut off, again checking for leaks, etc.
11. THE MOST IMPORTANT: go celebrate your achievement!

Rich Chrysler

From: "Tadeusz Malkiewicz" <tadeusz.malkiewicz@plusnet.pl>

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html