[Healeys] 4 Litre Engine - was - semi off topic

To: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Subject: [Healeys] 4 Litre Engine - was - semi off topic
From: John Harper <ah@jharper.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 21:25:00 +0100
Kees

I don't believe that there was much in common between the six cylinder
'Austin' engine and the later 'BMC' 3 litre.

However there is a strong link between the 4 litre and the A90
Atlantic/A-H 100 engine. The four cylinder is largely a cut down 6
cylinder with many common parts such as pistons, con rods, valves etc.

There is a history in one of Geoff Healey's book explaining that there
was a need for a 4 cylinder during WWII that 'Austin' developed but it
did not go into production then; but it did after the war to give the
old pre war Austin 12 respectable performance but with virtually no body
change. The engine went through a few developments fitted to the A70
Hampshire and Hereford. It then went to the same bore as the 4 litre as
the 2.6 litre that we are all familiar with. The engine was also fitted
to commercial vehicles for many years in petrol form. The diesel version
was another development fitted into London Taxis and various other
vehicles.

Regards