Re: [Healeys] rear oil seal

To: Healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] rear oil seal
From: "Shop at \" Just Brits \"" <shop@justbrits.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 14:34:49 -0500
Hi Ralph !!

<<...upon inspection found that the nuts holding the spline hub on were
loose... >>

That tels me that someone, sometime RE-USED those SINGLE-
USE nuts !!  Sorry !!  Please see:
http://www.justbrits.com/Articles/SteelLokNut.html

I would be VERY leery of the other Lok Nuts !!!  Personally, I
would also be very leery of plastic-insert Lok Nuts <F> !!!
Cheaper, sure.
But I would NOT use on my car or a customers' car !!!

<< ...oil was comming out how could i tell if the seal is bad... >>

Just 'surmising' that they are Originals, I WOULD replace.

<<  also to replace it do i need to take the hub off... >>

Yes, and pull the axles.  It really IS a simple job which will
be helped by having re-prints of Factory Service Shop Manual,
Factory Service Parts Manual and if you can fine the Haynes
one.  Also, Moss Cat. has good drawings which you could either
'lift' from the site or just copy from manuals and enlarge.
Hint:  Masking tape enlargement to side of car above wheel-
well <G> for reference.

Ed
'67 BJ-7
[Hortense THE Healey wearing STD IL plates    AH BJ 7    ]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html