Re: [Healeys] Copper brake lines, was 100 BN2 almost done....

To: Richard Ewald <richard.ewald@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Copper brake lines, was 100 BN2 almost done....
From: Barrie Robinson <barrie@look.ca>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 13:46:59 -0400
I think you will find that the "copper" is "copper alloy"
(Kunifer).  But if copper, the walls will be thick as Canadian DOT
would slam them if they did not meet specs - all you have to do is
meet DOT specs - so pure copper is possible.

At 12:08 AM 9/13/2010, Richard Ewald wrote:
>Volvo has used  copper alloy brake lines as OE since the days of the
>240 if not before. They do not use a different brake line for
>Canada, so obviously copper brake lines do somehow manage to meet
>Canadian requirements.
>Rick
>
>On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 8:11 AM, Barrie Robinson
><<mailto:barrie@look.ca>barrie@look.ca> wrote:
>  Kurnifer, a British development - specifically for brake lines, is
> 90% copper and 10% nickel.   It is used extensively in high
> performance cars.   In my opinion it is the only way to go - and is
> easily obtained.  But in N. America it was slow to catch on just
> like seat belts, radial tyres and such (NIH syndrome).   Currently
> available copper brake lines do not meet the Canadian govt.
> specifications and I doubt they meet USA or European specs.  By the
> way, there is common confusion regarding Govt specs.  In Canada
> they just give performance requirements  NOT what material meets
> those specs.   So you could use toast or fried eggs as long as it
> meets specs !!!  Copper lines as sold now do not - but if the
> currently available lines were made stronger (thicker!) they could pass!

Regards

Barrie
(705) 721-9060
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html